Monday 24 October 2016

Die Young - Black Sabbath

Lyric:- 'Chain the sun and it tears away, and it breaks you as you run, you run, you run' - Butler, Dio, Iommi & Ward

Song Choice:- Well ok it's a track from 1980, but I've included it into my seven special tracks from the 70's as on listening to it yesterday, it struck a real chord not only with my current situation but also with where I am some 54 years into my life's innings.

You see, on reaching your half-century, it's really easy to take your foot off the gas and 'Die Young', in a kind of giving up 'cos I'm getting old kinda way. I'm not being horrible, as I can see just how that happens to folk but its a trap that's easy to fall into, even if you are the most determined 'stay young at heart' person.

It's that National Trust Membership lifestyle as I call it. There's nothing wrong with the NT btw it's just for grey haired people. For some, their mid 50's now marks their retirement... What a waste! A waste of life...And I'm not wasting any of my time I can assure you from now on.

The track continues...

'And still to think you're free' - which is a great line, because can you say that you are free?It's really important that I still believe I am and far from the end of my innings, especially as I got very close to seeing the bright light at the end of the tunnel recently.

In a week leading up to my first competitive marathon at Beachy Head on Saturday I'm definitely not 'Dying Young' are you, or are you dead already?

More tomorrow...

Rory Coleman
976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
www.rorycoleman.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment