Thursday 6 October 2016

You're No Fun - The Tubes

Lyric:- 'How many women tried it too, you've done your best to wreck my life, kiss and smile and twist the knife' - Waybill et Al

Song Choice:- You might not have heard of 'The Tubes' but if you were in the 5th form at school in 1977, like me, you would have as I thought they were just amazing. Banned for being TOO rude on stage, I was lucky enough to see them play at the Hammersmith Odeon in all their splendour, or rather their un-splendour! Anyway, take a look for yourself, it all looks pretty tame now but their double-live album is still up there in my list of all-time best 'Concert' albums.

Anyway, it's the 'No Fun' part of the song that accompanies my Blog post today following a huge amount of feedback from yesterday's ditty about some of my client's sobriety successes and failures.

You see it dawned on me that the folk struggling to beat the bottle just ain't having much FUN. OK, they are numbing out the pain and no doubt every now and again enjoying the escapism from the real world in an alcoholic cloud but in essence, it's not really much if any FUN at all.

I know, I've been there, all those years ago. It's downright miserable actually.

The surprising thing is that the majority of people I coach and speak to about alcohol addiction are FEMALE. Yes, FEMALE and I would have guessed that it would have been more of a male dominated sport if I was being honest, but more and more women are falling into the booze trap I'm finding.

Now it could be down to the fact that men are just rubbish at talking about their problems to another man, (although I have some very sober and happy male clients following our work together) or that women are more likely to want to escape their predicament and are happier to open themselves up to a man.

Also what I've noticed is that ALL my female clients wanting to quit the bottle, drink wine. Usually a good bottle's worth and drink it like pop, sometimes with a bottle chaser. 

The supermarket 'Two for a Tenner' offer has a lot to answer for in my opinion.

Ok, some of you will say there's nothing worse than an ex-drinker... I reckon there's nothing worse than getting hammered every day just to get to the next as that's not living... It's crying out for help, no matter how you see it.

Ask yourself, as you are tucking into your next bottle, are you having any FUN? If not, I wanna know...

Rory Coleman
976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
977th Marathon - Beachy Head - 29th October, 2016
www.RoryColeman.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment