Thursday 27 October 2016

Time - The Pink Floyd

Lyric:- 'Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain' - Gilmour, Mason, Waters & Wright

Song Choice:- The lyrics deal with Roger Waters realisation that life was not about preparing yourself for what happens next, but about grabbing control of your own destiny. Pretty deep stuff. However, I've chosen it as it's TIME I did my first marathon race post GBS. And in Waters words, I been 'tired of lying in the sunshine' for these past six months.

And oh have I been frittering away those hours, waiting to get better. That's because since April of this year to now, it's my biggest marathon drought since I began running them back in 1994. It's been dead weird.

Anyway, I've picked a great one to mark my return in the Beachy Head Marathon as it's my favourite of all UK Marathon events, yet sadly is on the same day as the second best, The Snowdonia. In the old days, the Beachy Head was on the Saturday and Snowdon on the Sunday so you could do both, plus Dublin on the Monday, Irish Sea Willing. Why can't Race-Organisers plan better!

There's a massive 9 hour time-limit which will hopefully help my cause no-end and I'm going out there to enjoy myself and the feeling of marathon accomplishment I've missed for so long, once again.

If you are there, please say hello and I'll keep you posted on the day with my progress as I go back to 'hear the softly spoken magic spell'.

More tomorrow...

Rory Coleman
976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
www.RoryColeman.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment