Tuesday 27 December 2016

Misty Mountain Hop - Led Zeppelin

Tough Talk
Lyrics:- Why don't you take a good look at yourself and describe what you see' - Jones, Page & Plant

Song Choice:- This track feels a most apt choice today especially as I did my own 'Misty Mountain Hop'  up to the trig point atop 'Mynydd Caerfilli' (that's Caerphilly Mountain to you non Welsh folk) at 271 metres above sea level earlier today. I must have played this track a thousand times and  even though it was recorded in 1971, it still feels very fresh along with all the other tracks from the non-titled 'Led Zeppelin IV' album. Take a listen here if you haven't brushed off your vinyl for some time and need to give your running a boost.

Anyway, as I said in today's V-Log, it's the start of my lead up to the 2017 MdS and with 102 days to go before the race and just four before the end of 2016, I thought it was about time to get my arse into action.


It wasn't a quick run, but in my defence, I did run all of the way including the brutal uphill climbs at an average heart-rate of 114 bpm, which is virtually smack on my 70% MHR, so I was well pleased. The average pace of 17.18 per mile leaves a lot to be desired and I felt a bit of a fraud wearing my coveted 'Marathon des Sables' Buff but it felt like I'd made a start and thinking back a few months it's a pace that I never thought I'd ever run again and here's today's run.


So WTF am I moaning about?


Well, you see I know what's involved in getting to the finish line of the MdS and although I feel mentally I could go and complete it right now - I wouldn't be in a position to compete in it I'm being honest. Not with anyone else, but with myself of course. I know it's going to be a very tough ride again next year. '16 was as brutal as '06 and the added extremity really hurt. Ok it could have been down to my circling the Guillain Barre Syndrome drain but I'm sure that '17 will have just as many demons but my thoughts are if I can go at Sir Ranulph's speed of a few years back, at least I'll finish and anything quicker than that will be a bonus.


I've got some marathons planned along the way as well as a full training plan and gym bashing and I'll update you daily on my progress. So, if you are training for this or any other life-changing event please come and join me on my 'Misty Mountain Hop' and find out if your spirits fly over the hill, like mine did today.


More tomorrow...


Rory Coleman
980 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
22 years, 11 months, 22 days since 5th January, 1994
www.RoryColeman.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment