Thursday 22 December 2016

The Great Curve - Talking Heads

Tina Weymouth
Lyric:- 'Night must fall now-darker, darker' - Byrne, Eno, Frantz, Harrison, and Weymouth

Song Choice:- I bought this when it came out in 1980 and would never have guessed back then that I'd still be listening to it some 36 years later. It shows just how good the post-punk American Arthouse music genre was, and highlights David Byrne's writing and Brian Eno's production contributions to modern day music quite nicely. If you've never heard this track before, take a listen here to hear what you've been missing all these years. Tina Weymouth's bass playing is dead funky IMO and as an 18 year old art student I thought, and still do that the 'Remain in Light' album is just totally brilliant and deserves it's 129/500 best album of all time rating according to 'Rolling Stone Magazine'.

Anyway, it's 'The Great Curve' bit that I'm interested in for today's blog... and the curve I'm referring to is 'The Great Curve of Achievement'. It's not a well know phenomenon as it's one I've just invented but following a conversation I had with a good friend yesterday, 'The Great Curve of Achievement' ought to exist...

You see, at this time of year, it's very hard to get the adrenaline kick all of us achievers love as there's not a lot out there to go and conquer apart from Extreme Glutony perhaps. I did admire the 5,000 folk that tipped up at Stonehenge to 'enjoy' the Winter Solstice at 1044hrs yesterday, though I didn't admire the drunk I met on my run last night whom I saved from getting run over, I left him propped against a lamp post totally pissed out of his head.

Then again, he was only doing his thing and me doing mine - who's right and who's wrong, well you make up your own mind, but it wasn't pretty.

All I know is that I have to tick some boxes most days or I get a bit frisky, do you?

Rory Coleman - 980 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,387 Days' Alcohol Free.


No comments:

Post a Comment