Thursday 1 December 2016

Zeroes and Ones - Jesus Jones

Lyrics:- 'There`s those that have and that don't in information wars' - Edwards

Song Choice:- I simply love Jesus Jones and I was lucky enough to see them at the Summer XS of 1991 in the old Wembley Stadium. Sadly they fizzled out not long after and their 1993 album Perverse, on which Zeroes and Ones features as it's opening track, which was sadly their last decent offering. Lead singer and songwriter, Mike Edwards is now a mountain-bike instructor, I'm told, and I can't believe that it's over 25 years since that hot summer day of July 13th 1991. 

Anyway, it's the 'Zeroes and Ones' part that I'm really interested in today as I love the binary system way of life as in general it's a system that allows only two choices such as a switch in an electronic system or a simple true or false test. It's means that answers to any question or situation becomes a very simple 'Yes' or 'No', without the 'Maybe' or I'm not quite sure' option that personally drives me a bit potty. If you've ever been to a restaurant with someone that dithers, you'll know just what I mean. Their meal in my experience, no matter what they finally choose, is always disappointing and if they'd only gone on their first decision, they'd probably have had a better meal and in truth would have got our food  served a whole lot quicker.

Christmas Shopping is a nightmare right now as well. You see, I hate door dinkers, you know the folk that bounce their car doors into yours without a care in the world... My binary solution is so simple, I park as far away as possible in a clear and open space as I can. It means that I get into the shop quicker than trying to park as close to the front door as possible. Negotiating many a preoccupied shopper and other 'get me as near the front door as possibly can as I'm idle' parking space hoppers only delays I've found. You do get some idiots come and park right next to you, using their herding instinct and on the whole it works.

Why do people make everything so complicated? As I don't think it is or should be...

If everything became a very simple 'Yes' or 'No' things would be so much easier? Why does there have to be so much choice and opinion? It's like that with everything, absolutely EVERYTHING you buy anyway and every product has a review and a Five Star Rating, written by a complete spectrum of anonymous people. How can you base one's choice on that? As long as it's a Five Star rating, that's all we want to know. The Food Outlet rating system we have down here in Wales underlines that perfectly and if you are familiar with it you know for yourself that you'd never eat from a zero to three star rater and only a four, if you are starving!

Maybe I'm too much of a Black or White person but at least I can make decisions (not all perfect I can assure you) but I don't dither especially after my GBS experience and I can make up my own mind as a lot of stuff isn't that hard to work out, it's just that we are busy and lazy.

You'll find it makes life simpler and a whole lot easier.


See if you can make the switch... and let me know how you get on.

Rory Coleman
979 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
www.RoryColeman.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment