Monday 26 December 2016

The Writing's on the Wall - Sam Smith

Coleman - Rory 'James' Coleman
Lyrics:- 'I've spent a lifetime running' - Napes & Smith

Song Choice:- Well it wouldn't be Christmas without a bit of Bond would it? And I love Sam Smith's dramatic backdrop to the 26th '007' offering, Spectre. It's a great film too and has the classic 'Bond Trademarks' which I love.

It's a great title for a song and it got me thinking about where the saying 'The writings on the wall', originated. Google quickly answered that one and said - 'It refers to Chapter 5 of the Book of Daniel in the Bible when King Belshazzar sees the words Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upsharin written on a wall. Belshazzar summons Daniel to interpret the writing, which Daniel translates as 'Numbered, numbered, weighed, divided.' Daniel tells Belshazzar that the writing means that Babylonian kingdom will be invaded and divided among the Medes and the Persians. The term 'The writing's on the wall' has since been used to refer any omen that predicts a bad outcome.

Well that put me straight, and I didn't quite expect it to have had such a dark origin but on a day when the world of Rock and Pop lost a couple more of it's band, in my life, what have I to worry about this Christmas at all eh?

The only bad outcome for myself could have been at yesterday morning's Christmas Day parkrun. You see my Christmas Eve training run was so catastrophically slow, I thought I may as well give up running for good, especially as my Marathon des Sables number had been released and I was slower than a Moroccan Snail. (It's 714 if you are interested).

Then again, I needn't have been that worried as a bit of competition and some words of encouragement from my Coach (thanks Jenny) made me forget my woes and give me a post GBS-SIDP PB of 32:35 knocking a few seconds off my previous best which was achieved with the help of a TUE on Prednisolone.

Anyway, It gave me the 'Christmas Kick up the Arse' that I needed and you watch me go from strength to strength next year - The writing's on the wall - in the best sense of the phrase.

What's your 'Writing' saying to you?

Rory Coleman - 980 Marathons - 241 Ultras
13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records - 8,391 Days' Alcohol Free.
Location: Cardiff, Wales
www.RoryColeman.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment