Thursday 31 August 2017

Moby - 18

Are you on Target with your new identity?
The first time I heard the music of Moby, I was blown away. Couple his music with one of the best film franchises that's ever come out of Hollywood and you end up with 'Extreme Ways' the track that's played with the credits to all five Bourne movies, and one of the real standout tracks on Moby's sixth studio album 18 from 2002.

I love the original Bourne Trilogy and it's the double identity of actor Matt Damon's character in the movie Jason Bourne, that I find really interesting and the subject of today's blog.

For those that haven't seen the movies (really?), Jason Bourne is but one of many aliases used by David Webb, a Foreign Service Officer who is deployed by the US as an elite assassin. If you haven't seen the movies recently and you are looking for ninety minutes or so of pure escapism, then visit the bargain bin and enjoy the ride. The car-chases are worth it alone.

So are the double identity issues that our hero Jason Bourne goes through in each of the movies. I mean, not knowing your true identity is a complete mind bomb. Then again it's something I see in folk that go through massive life changes both in body-size and their habitual behaviour. I know it's something I found very challenging when I turned my life round all those years ago and redesigned the new Rory Coleman.

Getting used to the person looking back at you in the mirror takes time. In my experience it took me about 12 months to become comfortable with the new 'Me'. I then needed a personal software update to cement those changes and then created another path of personal enlightenment that followed, and is still updating. It's hard to explain if you haven't been there yourself but it's something that a few of my clients are encountering at the moment and it's a real sink or swim time in their personal progression, even though they believe they've left their old 'Me' well and truly behind - they haven't.

You see, that person creeps up on you if you are not careful and it becomes too easy to revert to type especially when you are least expecting it. Once a year on the date you changed your life is the best time to reassess your 'Extreme Ways' as some folk might see them and work even harder on your secret mission - just like Jason Bourne, David Webb or whatever you are calling yourself today.

Maybe it's time for an identity update?

Amen.

Rory Coleman - 998 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,639 Days' Alcohol Free - 487 Days' post GBS
Location: Cardiff, Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment