Monday 14 August 2017

Search for the Hero - M People

Yesterday's Heroes
Lyrics:- 'And that's why you should keep on aiming high' - Pickering & Heard

Song Choice:- There are no excuses needed for choosing this 1995 hit from the brilliant M People especially following last week's Athletics World Championships. The exit of Farah and Bolt only underlined to me that every generation needs their own Heroes to follow and be to inspired by.

It did make me wonder how long they'd remain such an inspiration as looking back over the years, I've highlighted six international Heroes above that I'm not sure that many folk would be able to name forty years on. I've met two of them, working with one of them and racing against another. So, let's see who knows the answers eh?

Anyway, my thoughts today are more about YOU becoming more of YOUR own Hero - as  Superstars, however inspirational they are, don't stay Superstars last forever.

I wonder how many of our children's generation will be able to recognise Scott, Shackelton, Hilary and Fiennes in the future, or my all-time hero Neil Armstrong.

Hopefully they'll remember yours though and why not make them proud of YOU and YOUR achievements  - so go on, 'Keep aiming high' and be a Hero.

Amen.

Rory Coleman - 997 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,622 Days' Alcohol Free - 470 Days' post GBS
Inspirational Running Memoir
Location: Cardiff, Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment