Wednesday 30 August 2017

Urban Hymns - The Verve

Tell me...Do you feel lucky?
As I continue my self-indulgent voyage back into the last 23 years, I'm enjoying listening to some of the classic albums that have accompanied me along the way. The Verve's ‘Urban Hymns’ is one such album and 'Lucky Man' has always been a stand out track for me, even though it was 'Bitter Sweet Symphony' I played over and over again in its 'Treat Infamy' version during my 24 hour Treadmill Guinness World Record in October 1998.

‘Lucky Man’ is well worth another listen today if you are struggling with life, addiction or pain. I know those emotions myself but somehow at my lowest point found the resilience and energy to change. The lyrics sum it up perfectly for me.

It's just a change in me, Something in my liberty - Ashcroft

You see it was the feeling of being FREE that I loved and still love today. The LIBERTY I've felt this past post-addiction lifetime has been the best 'life-experience' anyone could ever wish for. There are many solutions in overcoming Alcohol Addiction nowadays, 23 years ago there were two. Give up and toughen up or AA. I chose the former as AA didn't look much fun if I was being honest and being surrounded in a room of people that I saw as 'failures' just like myself certainly wasn't attractive.

The thought of never being able to ‘leave’ as I saw it back then, was also far too suffocating.

That's when I thought that actually, I'm a 'Lucky Man'.

Lucky to still be alive that is and 'Lucky' that I'd found something that was going to point my life in the right direction. Focussing on that made being 'Alcohol Free', easy and never letting ANYTHING chip away at my inner resolve an oath I will take to my grave.

You see, it's far too easy to lessen your grip on your values. Alcohol-Free Beer that has 0.05% Alcohol in it is the latest bit of 'Marketing Bullshit' I've seen and for those trying to quit, makes only for a slippery slope of deceit. So, my question today is folks 'Do you feel Lucky?' And if the answer is 'Yes' then why are you fuck your life up drinking?

Amen.

My Book 'A Rebel and a Runner' is back in print :-)

Rory Coleman - 998 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,638 Days' Alcohol Free - 486 Days' post GBS
Location: Cardiff, Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment