Sunday 6 August 2017

Only you and I know - Collins

Lyrics:- 'But if I said to you, please don't do it, you do it anyway' - Collins

Song Choice:- This 1985 Phil Collins Classic, always fires me up whenever I hear it and it's well worth another listen if you haven't heard it for a long time, to remember just how good Phil was at his peak. It's a crying shame some thirty odd years on, that he's a shadow of his former self.

It fits quite nicely with the coverage of Usain Bolt's 100 metres final that I tuned into last night. I'm not suggesting for one moment that Mr. Bolt is well past his peak but it did make me wonder what his driver was for him to complete when his 'Golden Run' certainly looked precarious from the very first round. He never looked or sounded too confident did he?

Was it Pride or Money? Hopefully it was the former as it can't be easy being surrounded by people that won't take anything less than 'Winning' as a result. Being 'pushed' into the World Championships must have been tough - being beaten by someone who shouldn't be allowed to race ever again IMO, only adding to the anti-climax.

Whatever happened last night won't have ANY effect on my life but looking at Bolt's situation did make me realise I'd been in a similar situation myself and not realising it's time to bow out at the right time is a tough 'Life-Lesson'. It's not a negative thing either, it can be a really positive process and a 'Personal sell-by date' is something that's well worth taking on board - even if it's just a date to have done something by so that you can move on rather than keep trying at something where you'll never win or succeed.

Anyway, thank God for him it's all over and the sense of relief for Bolt today must be overwhelming. Hopefully his 'Legend' status will remain until the next champion comes along and takes his crown... they always do you know. And now Bolt knows what it's like to be beaten. Do you?

Amen.

Rory Coleman - 997 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,614 Days' Alcohol Free - 462 Days' post GBS
Inspirational Running Memoir
Location: Cardiff, Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment