Thursday 17 August 2017

You're the Voice - John Farnham

Lyrics:- ‘We have the chance, to turn the pages over, we can write what we want to write’ - Reid, Qunta, Thompson & Ryder

Song Choice:- This song is such an anthem and I’m sure lots of people have sung along to it at the tops of the voices especially when they’ve feel like they’ve not been listened to or even heard at all. Being such a Power Ballad, the song was famously used for The World Liberty Concert in The Netherlands on May 8th, 1995 to mark the 50th Anniversary of the liberation of Europe. Not a bad accolade for a bloke Dagenham eh?

It got me thinking about what band or song I’d associate myself with part from Rush’s New World Man which has my book title ‘A Rebel and a Runner’ in it of course but thinking on a wider scale whether I’d be in a group, what I’d play or whether I’d be a solo artist. I’m sure I’d like to be in control, that probably goes without saying and the microphone is a very powerful tool. However, I would like the freedom and expression of having those lead solo breaks where I could show off my skills and get the ‘Wow’ factor that I obviously crave. I’m not sure how I’d cope with playing in a group though as I’m not a team player AND in my early life, I’d have probably had all the right criteria to get immediate membership to the ‘27 Club’.

So, my question for today is… If YOU were a band or a solo artist who would you be and why? Say of you were a completely out of control person that went on to clean up their life but now plays a lot of sport still liking the limelight, you might be an ‘Alice Cooper’ say… sounds kinda familiar eh? You might be someone that is just happy to play along with others taking the limelight, yet wanting the success it brings without all the hassle… Well you’re in Coldplay but no-one knows your name.

I’d love to know and ‘Write what you want to write’ as having a Voice is important, Making yourself heard - Well that's a whole lot harder and SHOUT if you need to.

Amen.

Rory Coleman - 997 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,625 Days' Alcohol Free - 473 Days' post GBS
Inspirational Running Memoir
Location: Cardiff, Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment