Wednesday 16 August 2017

Who are you? - The Who


Lyrics:- 'Tell me who are you' - Townshend

Taken from The Who's album of the same title, it was the last single to feature Keith Moon before his death in September 1978. I wonder if he ever knew?

It’s a great question to ask yourself and one that’s not that easy to answer, especially if you are in mid-life-transformation right now. The health benefits of losing vast amounts of weight are obviously far too numerous to mention, but it’s our own reflection and what we project to others that really interest me for today’s blog.
I once had a work colleague whose catchphrase was ‘Big man’s gotta Big Plan’ - it was his probably downfall as he never did deliver, well as far as I know anyway. You see, no-one especially prospective clients, ever really believed him. I didn’t after a very short while it was such a lot of BS. For him though, he needed to project this larger than life character and volume in both body and voice to pluck up enough courage to go and knock doors.
Back then a lot of business was placed with such Sales People and folk bought product if they bought the person. I wonder if he knew who he really was at the time or how his own perceptions and projections limited his career.
Another client who was 97kgs dramatically lost 24kgs felt vulnerable whilst out in public and promptly put the weight back on to gain his old confidence back. It wasn't like that for me though as I found quitting booze and losing a similar amount of weight liberating as I left the old me behind and redesigned a new me, where I was much happier with my self-image and never turned back.
Never fear though as friends and colleagues will always put you straight as they will either encourage with ‘You look amazing’ or vampire with ‘You’re no fun anymore’ and add the ‘You look gaunt’ or ‘Think of the excess skin you’ll have if you carry on losing weight’ slam dunk.
It’s a process that you’ll have to work through as your transformation continues. My thoughts are that being slimmer and heathier won’t solve your major life-problems - it might however give you the confidence to tackle some relationship issues both at work and at home and give you more and more confidence as YOU get used to knowing WHO the new YOU really is.
Amen.
Rory Coleman - 997 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,624 Days' Alcohol Free - 472 Days' post GBS
Inspirational Running Memoir
Location: Cardiff, Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment