Monday 7 August 2017

Out of the Black - Royal Blood

Lyrics:- 'And took the skin off my back running' - Royal Blood

Song Choice:- Royal Blood and Public Service Broadcasting are two of my more recent musical finds and it's amazing just how much 'noise' a duo can make with modern-day multi-layered sampling pedals. If you haven't connected with Royal Blood yet, then they are well worth a listen here and make sure you crank up the volume!

Anyway, it's a bit of a tenuous link perhaps but after seeing a few folk over the weekend ending up in hospital following their events, it feels only right to write about looking after yourself before, during and after races.

You see, the Human Body is an incredible thing. It's recovery process is truly remarkable, especially if you are regularly giving it a good thrashing like I have over the years. Considering how quickly it repairs following major surgery in just a few weeks is really special. 

It's the ultimate machine! And everyone's got one...

Then, why don't we look after it in the same way as we do other things in our lives. It's more precious than any jewel, car or possession money can buy yet we hardly ever give it a regular Service or MOT. I'm just as guilty of this as the next person and I didn't seek medical advice for years as I felt healthy until it finally caught up with me last year, hitting me for six or perhaps seven in my case. Hoping that if it's not broken, don't fix it doesn't cut Coleman's Mustard any more.

As we get older, especially us chaps, it's always a good idea to have at least one medical a year and ask for the results as a print out so you can see any trends in PSA and Cholesterol  levels in particular. I've now decided to monitor my own medical history from now on and I suggest you do too, as if you don't highlight any issues, no-one else will - until it's possibly too late.

So have a think as you bash out yet another marathon or yet another 14200 steps, go and get a health assessment booked at your local medical centre to make sure your body lasts a lifetime :-)

Amen.

Rory Coleman - 997 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,615 Days' Alcohol Free - 463 Days' post GBS
Inspirational Running Memoir
Location: Cardiff, Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment