Thursday 10 August 2017

Promised you a miracle - Simple Minds

Lyrics:- 'Life throws a curve' - Burchill & Kerr


Song Choice:- Oh dear, I've got my preaching head on again today and I've really got a bee in my bonnet about Facebook Groups for folk wanting to quit alcohol for good or, significantly reduce their boozing habits. Or should I say 'addiction' as that's what it really is. There you are, I said it - although I would as I'm someone who's prepared to talk about the 'Elephant in the Room' and not dance around the subject.

What I don't get is for the 5000+ people I've been watching who are in two such groups is that they are SO forgiving of each other's weaknesses and on seeing others trip up's say 'there, there' instead of 'TRY HARDER AND NEVER EVER FAIL AGAIN AS BEING ADDICTED TO ALCOHOL IS MESSiING UP YOUR LIFE YOU IDIOT'. But you can't write stuff like that can you? If you do, you get a lot of stick but folk should be able to take that as they have self-declared their addiction by being part of a group of other addicts in the first place.

One person wrote to one of my posts about a book not being the answer to getting plastered, 'Lots of people find(Ing) it helpful to understand a bit more about alcohol and how it works. I think it's great that people use books as a way to reflect on their own drinking'. My reply was that it's actually NEVER drinking again. To that one I got the 'We are all different' 'One size doesn't fit all' response which really sucks as it simply isn't true. We are all human. We all need our serotonin agitating and adrenalin pumped to keep us HAPPY and can function a lot better without alcohol in our systems. 

I wonder when we'll finally wake up to the fact that alcohol is a very powerful drug that over one million people in the UK are addicted to it. Two million children live with parents that are alcohol dependent and is the cause of 10,000 deaths due to driver intoxication each year. So yes, you can read a few books, do a Google on the subject, find some others whom are in the same predicament as you are BUT the real answer is to STOP.

STOP promising miracles, Stop talking and writing about it and bloody well START living your life alcohol free. When you do, your own miracles, you know the one's you promised will then START to happen. 

Mine did...and yours can too. 

Keep the Faith...

Rory Coleman - 997 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,618 Days' Alcohol Free - 466 Days' post GBS
Inspirational Running Memoir

Location: Cardiff, Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment