Monday 3 February 2014

Heartbeat City - The Cars

'And happy days count on thumbs' - Ocasek

Well that was a weekend-and-a-half of running and I'm really pleased how my 2 x 33 milers went at the wonderful Pilgrim Challenge. I ran both days to 75% heart-rate and decided that around the 130bpm mark for Day One would be an excellent way of being able run the whole distance and got me there in a good time of 6.19.04 as you will see in my Garmin Trace here. It was amazing how many folk I overtook and how easy it was to RUN the hills keeping my heart-fatigue down to a minimum.

Day Two was a repeat along the same course but in reverse with an added flooded river to cross and I had a similar 75% heart-rate strategy on this one too. The only governing on that was I had to allow for my leg-fatigue and picked 125bpm as being a good level to try and maintain for as long as possible. It seemed to work just fine and it only added 30 minutes to the previous days efforts and it was slightly longer and my trace for Day Two is here.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...as it was interesting how much the tempo and race paces changed between the days.

If you were at Pilgrim too, you'll know how hard it was out there and for those I met who are gearing up for Morocco, I hope you take heed from this weekend and if you found it hard, well the Pilgrim is a breeze against the MdS long day so please buck up your ideas as there's still time to make a huge difference to your chances of finishing the race in April. I met people who are going this year who won't last more than a couple of days if they don't take it more seriously, right now - and that's a fact. If you don't know what you are doing or what to do - just ASK me for some help!

It's back out on the road tomorrow for me and my legs are achy free today, so my recovery is also getting better.

More tomorrow...



No comments:

Post a Comment