Sunday 29 January 2017

Thunder and Lightning - Phil Collins

Lyrics:- You get, just one crack of the whip, that's all - Collins

Song Choice:- l watched an episode of 'Classic Albums' that featured, the 1981 album, 'Face Value' the other evening and it's had a profound effect on my thought processes over these past few days. With Collins himself becoming 66 tomorrow it's hard to imagine that he was just 30 years old when he knocked out his first and arguably best 'Solo' album.

With 150 million album sales from his solo work alone, it's an amazing legacy for the one-time Genesis drummer that only got into singing because of Sir Peter of Gabriel's departure to leave for posterity. Yet behind all of this his life's triumphs are accompanied by a trail of self-destruction.

It sounds all too a familiar story to me and my thoughts are that even if you consider yourself to be a Joe Ordinary or like Phil, you are a multi-platinum record selling artist, try listing your life achievements in five bullet points (excluding marriages and children) and see how you describe your life in five compact sound bites.

I could list my own but they are not important in regards to this blog or to you as they are only relevant to me and how I see myself and my own accomplishments.

Have a go yourself perhaps and let me know what you come up with. It's not as easy as you think... and if you can't think of any, hark back to Phil's lyrics as you only 'get one crack of the whip' according to him...

Rory Coleman - 980 Marathons - 241 Ultras
13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records - 8,425 Days' Alcohol Free.

Location:Cardiff, Wales

No comments:

Post a Comment