Monday 18 May 2015

Vera - The Pink Floyd

Lyric:- 'Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn' - Waters

I'm sure that many people younger than me have heard of Dame Vera Lynn (or DVL as she's affectionately known)...She was the Second World War Sweetheart that sang the about the Bluebirds over the White Cliffs of Dover, you know the one really, and yes she's still with us aged 98 (Small confession, I had to check Google actually).

Anyway, it just goes to show you how things get lost from generation to generation and I wonder what will become of the legacy of the people we know and love so well now in the next 100 years or so, whom will we remember. It seems that most young people don't know who Sir Winston Churchill was or why Neil Armstrong is so important to our modern day history. Probably two of the most iconic people of the 20th Century in my opinion. How will all the mindless celebrities of today get remembered...Hmm.

Hopefully the music of Pink Floyd will live on and won't be lost on the youth of the future...my son Sam (21) said he'd heard to some 'Floyd' and thought it was a bit depressing. I wondered if he'd actually listened and enjoyed the music that lived with me now for a generation. It's shaped my life...I'm not sure that Ed Sheeran has the same longevity, even though he's a lovely chap.

If Sam ignores Ed and goes more Pink like his Dad, he'll know all about Dame Vera Lynn and the fabulous 'Floyd'.


More tomorrow...but don't go forgetting our yesterdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment