Wednesday 10 May 2017

I wouldn't want to be like you - The Alan Parsons Project

Lyrics:- 'If I had a mind to, I wouldn't wanna think like you, I don't care what you do, I wouldn't want to be like you' - Parsons & Woolfson

Song Choice:- This is the first track from Alan Parsons' 1976 album 'I Robot' - if you've never heard of him before, he was the sound engineer on Pink Floyd's album 'Dark Side of the Moon' where he famously created the money and clocks effects. Yes, that Alan Parsons, and take a listen here...

Anyway, it's the 'Robot' bit that I'm interested in for today's blog as I believe that a lot of the time, if we are not careful, we exist in this world as nothing more than - 'Robots'. A day in London underlined that for me a couple of weeks ago and it's something I've become more aware of since then, and see in so many of the folk I meet.

I mean, just how much 'Freewill' have you enjoyed so far, this week? Not much? Any at all?

Think on... You see, it's too easy to get caught up in the daily treadmill of life and end up in a 24/7 production line acting out someone else's demands, with little sign of parole. It's a trap we all fall into from time to time and luckily no two days in my life are ever the same. The thought of the same job at the same company doing the same thing every day for my entire working career would drive me potty for sure. I'm not saying go and jack in your job right now but for heaven's sake, take some time out for yourself.

I always wonder why folk spend so much of their life at the same desk?

Is it because it's the safe option? Are they afraid of change? How many times have you said to yourself 'If only I'd'.

I'd hate to be part of the 'If only I'd Gang' or any 'Gang' if I'm being honest as like Parsons' lyrics say 'I wouldn't like to be like you' or anyone else actually as I'm not a 'Robot'...

Are you?

Rory Coleman - 990 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,526 Days' Alcohol Free
Inspirational Running Memoir - Get your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment