Wednesday 31 May 2017

Burning Down the House - Talking Heads

Lyrics:- 'There has got to be a way' - Byrne, Franz, Harrison & Weymouth

Song Choice:- I've been a fan of Talking Heads for 40 years now and bought 'Take me to the River' as a 'Double-Single' way back in 1978. Vocalist David Byrne has to be one of the most influential musicians of the 'American-Post-Punk-Arthouse' period and I love the video that accompanies this track. Take a look here and see what you think.

The Video medium really helped Byrne visualise his thoughts on 'Projecting' one person’s identity onto another and got me thinking about how I endeavour to 'Project' my Life-Coaching ideals and Standards onto others. Added to that I then noticed that, 'Burning Down the House' is featured on their 'Stop Making Sense' live album and that got my brain working in overdrive about how we see ourselves and how we can make 'SENSE' of our own 'Projections'.

You see, it appears to me that there is a certain 'Blind Spot' where many folk are totally unaware of what is going on around them. Take a trip around your local Supermarket Car Park and you are taking your life in your hands. Negotiating a safe path in and out of my local Tesco in Cardiff is like dicing with death as there are so many out-of-control single-minded folk driving that have simply no common sense at all.

I believe that Common 'SENSE' is something that is slowly being eroded by technology from our minds. Driving aimlessly bearing left or right at TomTom's will means we don't know how to get anywhere nowadays. Talking about satellites, how many times have you run past your house to notch up another 0.1 to get your Garmin saying 6 instead of 5.9? What dopes... In the old days we used a Road Atlas to get around if we couldn't remember where places were or measured our runs with a piece of string as that was good enough.

Don't even get me going about using the internet as research for 'Ultra-marathons', 'Medical Conditions' or 'Expert Advice' from Blogs as most of what's written is a total load of old tosh... and will only 'Burn down your House', even quicker if followed.

The 'I read' or 'I heard' comment followed by the useless information I hear just grates...

Best is to meet and listen closely to those that 'have' and then do your own research. Find out the 'truth' and follow your own intuition as 'YOU' are the best judge of 'YOU' and 'START MAKING SENSE' - Please...


Rory Coleman - 991 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,547 Days' Alcohol Free - 396 Days' post GBS
Inspirational Running Memoir - Get your copy here.
Location:- Cardiff, Wales

No comments:

Post a Comment