Thursday 18 May 2017

Undertow - Genesis

Don't look so sad Guys - you've got 40 years ahead of you...
Lyrics:- 'If this were the last day of your life, my friend
Tell me, what do you think you would do then?

Stand up to the blow that fate has struck upon you
Make the most of all you still have coming to you.
Lay down on the ground and let the tears run from you
Crying to the grass and trees and heaven finally on your knees' - Banks



Song Choice:- This track is taken from the 1978 album 'And then there were three' and is my good friend Kevin Webber's favourite song. If you were watching BBC2 last night he was featured on the TV show 'A Time to Live' as he has terminal Prostate Cancer and it showed his amazing outlook on life and him running at the Marathon des Sables.

I think know Kevin pretty well as I've shared two MdS tents with him and had many conversations over the past couple of years about a multitude of different subjects, including his impending death. 

They haven't been doom and gloom jobs either, which is most interesting and definitely heart-warming.

You see, I've been critically ill but not dying and Kevin doesn't look ill at all but has a limited amount of time left before he's critically ill - how ironic is that! Life's so fucking cruel sometimes.

Listening to him last night on TV was actually a good kick up my tired legs backside and I ran hard today listening to 'Undertow' thinking that if this was going to be the last run of my life, then I may as well give it everything I'd got.

OMG it worked too as it got me an extra 1.3 miles on an hours out-and-back and only strengthened my foundations against the 'Undertow' that life can erode away at a lot of the time.

I dearly hope Kevin makes his third MdS as he looked so 'Alive' at the race this year - then again, it would be a good place to clock out, if it was the last day of your life my friend... wouldn't it.

Rory Coleman - 990 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,534 Days' Alcohol Free - 382 Days' post GBS
Inspirational Running Memoir - Get your copy here.
Location:- Boscastle, Cornwall

No comments:

Post a Comment