Monday 1 May 2017

Squonk - Genesis

Lyrics:- 'All the King's horses and all the King's men' - Banks & Rutherford

Song Choice:- I've always loved 'Squonk'. It's a song about a North-Amrican mythical creature of the same name that when captured, dissolves in a pool of tears, nice. The song was designed to sound like Led Zeppelin's 'Kashmir' which was recorded the previous year and funnily enough at Headley Grange where Genesis had recorded 'The Lamb'. 'Squonk' opened the band's live performances, right the way through their early 80's concerts, including the two that I was lucky enough to see in '78 & '80.

Anyway, it's the 'All the King's horses and all the King's men' line that I'm interested in for today's 'Bank Holiday Blog'. You see it's a year today since I went into Llandough Hospital to start my GBS recovery and it got me thinking into what I've learned during this past 365 days.

I'll go to what I've learned later on, but I didn't come to that conclusion from completing  this year's Marathon des Sables or by beating my brains out, bashing out 100 miles along the Thames Towpath this weekend, trying to please the Facebook Failure Enabler's that folk seem to attract nowadays. There's nothing worse than not-completing to a round of 'Well at least you trieds' or '50, 60 or 70 is extreme' etc. in my book. I'm pretty sure that none of my 'Life Learns' came from 100 mile Ultras...

What I've learned is that 'Satisfaction' comes from within. Within a world that exists between our ears and rather than searching deep down inside and correcting our own behaviour - We expend most of our time looking at and trying to change the world around us. I believe that whatever happens in the world around us or in other folks lives just doesn't matter - so why do we believe it does?

At the end of the day or 365 of them in my case, I wonder how many folk I will project my thoughts during the next year. It's not easy as the thing is, there's no right or wrong - and only time will tell if they get to see the world as clearly as I do without having to spend a year rebuilding their lives. You see for some 'All the King's horses and all the King's men' will never put them back together again.

More tomorrow...and enjoy your Bank Holiday, whatever you are doing - and then maybe look back over your day and wonder why you did what you did, instead of doing something else.

Rory Coleman - 989 Marathons - 243 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,517 Days' Alcohol Free
Inspirational Running Memoir - Get your copy here.
Location: Caerdydd, Cymru

No comments:

Post a Comment