Saturday 16 January 2016

The Fly - U2

Lyric:- It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success - Clayton, Evans, Houston & Mullen Jr

Song Choice:- I played this to death in 1991 and the above lyric has a twisty irony about it which I love and for the U2 statisticians out there, it entered the UK Charts at number one on 12th October, ending the 16 week dreadful Brian Adams 'Everything I do, I do it for you' toe-curler. How on earth did that ever stay up there that long eh?

Anyway, back to the Fly and it has lots of bitter sweet lyrics and it's the 'Fly or Fall' thing I'd like to write about here today.

You see it's so easy to stay up there perched on high clinging to your funny old existence, doing the same old things day in, day out getting nowhere fast. The things that keeps us clinging there is the risk of failure, embarrassment or falling down into an unknown hell.

If  you ever been in a job you hate, find another and then discover you hate it even more than the first, you'll know what I mean,  I've heard this take many times over.

The thing is whether it's your decision or your HR Department's you have to embrace the opportunity and make the most of your fall. You might actually enjoy it AND have a mind expanding experience along the way. I had this a few times and always come out feeling like I'm better off. But then again, I enjoy a good fall...you know where you stand with a good one I've found.

More tomorrow...and btw I flew today at Country to Capital, 1 second quicker than my good friend Richard Davies, talk about out dipping for the tape after 8hrs 22mins!

Rory Coleman - 956 Marathons - 239 Ultras - 12 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8046 Days' Alcohol Free.
Location: London

No comments:

Post a Comment