Thursday 7 January 2016

Time - The Pink Floyd

#DryJanuary - Message - Day 7
Lyric:- 'The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death - Gilmour, Mason, Water & Wright

Song Choice:- Well this is one of my all time favourites. Amazing chiming clock sound effects, music and lyrics that drive home just how important our 'TIME' really is. Have a listen here and see what you are missing from 1973 - 50 million copies sold of 'Dark Side' and that says it all...

So, I thought I'd make this post is all about 'Time'...

And that was one of my key drivers when I went #DryJanuary back in 1994. One of my considerations was to spend all the time I went to the pub, getting myself fit. No wonder I became fit really quickly, two or three hours a day of long slow distance running puts you up there with the 'Elite' in terms of hours spent building heart mass and losing unwanted body fat.

My weeks of 100+ miles soon became the norm and my 'Time' felt much better spent improving my health and reducing my waistline and daily hangovers. Looking back at the drinker Rory Coleman, he looked well past his 31 years if I'm being honest and my 'Time' spent running since has been well spent and has proved life-saving.

There's a lot spoken about our usage of 'Time' and I can remember a company back in the 80's I used to print for called 'Time Management International' that helped business people control their daily lives using a 'Filofax'. Remember Filofax's? I spent more time filling the bloody thing than actually doing what it said in it. But hey, I've just 'Googled' them and they are still going...still using the Filofax and Outlook! Ah well it must have been one of my many short-comings over the years.

Anyway, back on task (you see I need one of those TMI jobbies), 'Time' just slips through our fingers like grains of sand or seeps away like a dripping tap. Particles and Droplets that are totally expendable in their minuteness only when gathered in their masses become that desert or ocean we can get lost or drowned in. 

The lyrics of the song carry on with 'You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today'. Only I'm not young anymore and I'm not killing time anymore and if anything it's killing me now. Hopefully it's a few grains and drops at a time and not a shovel and a bucket load like it is when you take 'Time Out' and get plastered and need a couple of days to recover.

And I know I witter on about booze on here a lot but I know what it's like to waste my 'Time' and I don't want to waste any more of mine or yours today!

So get out there and make it happen folks!

There's no time like the present...

More tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment